Jul 29, 2008

Mad About Mad Men

I have jumped on the bandwagon and have started watching Mad Men on AMC. Why did I not know about this television show until this weekend???? Thanks to Comcast On Demand, I am catching up on the first season and I am HOOKED!

It is set in an advertising agency in New York City in 1960 and follows Don Draper, one of the advertising executives. It kind of favors the Sopranos, but without the killing and swearing………but it still has lots of edge. Because it is set in 1960, the characters smoke cigarettes like freight trains and there is excessive alcohol use. There is extensive womanizing because sexual banter isn’t yet considered harassment. The dialog is dry, but hilarious!

This is one of my favorite scenes so far. Betty Draper, Don’s wife and classic mother/homemaker, is gossiping with her friend about a lady that has moved in down the street…….a divorced woman! GASP! What is going to happen to their property value!?!

No comments: