Aug 12, 2007

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might

"I wish that Graves beats Mayfield in football this year."

"I wish I win the lottery!"

"I wish that we had ice cream right now."

There must have been over one hundred wishes made that night. It was early August of 1994 and I was seventeen years old. I was young and naive and full of untarnished hopes and dreams. I made several wishes myself; hoping that my senior year in high school would be fantastic and that I could do well enough to get a great scholarship.

There were four of us lying on our backs in a friend's driveway, the blacktop still warm from the hot August sun. Gorgeous shooting stars were streaking the sky in the wee hours of the morning. It was the first time that I remember watching the Perseid meteor shower.

My mind drifted back to that night as I watched a shooting star light up last night's sky. My wishes are different now, a little more 'grown-up'. I look forward to making more tonight.

Tonight is the peak of the annual Perseid meteor shower. For the past couple of years we have either had a full moon or cloudy weather, but this year is perfect. There is a new moon, so the sky will be dark and clear. I urge you to sit outside tonight and do a little star gazing. It is truly magical.

I hope all your wishes come true.

No comments: