Feb 20, 2009

FF - Boys of Summer

Another week has passed and it is time for FLASHBACK FRIDAY! YEAH!

Growing up, my neighborhood was filled with boys. Boys outnumbered the girls by at least 3 to 1. Plus, all the girls were several years younger than me. So I didn't have that many girl friends to play with. (No offence Jenna and Lindsay!) My brother, on the other hand, had tons of friends that were gender appropriate. Namely, these guys:



This picture was taken in the back of Raye Ann’s back yard. You can see my Uncle Ronnie’s house back over the hill. I do remember playing on that swing-set and I have no clue why there is a garden hose on the clothesline pole.

This must have been before a tee-ball game, because they are all wearing their tee-ball shirts. I am guessing that it is BEFORE the tee-ball game, because they are all relatively clean. The goal of many of these games was not to see if you could win, but to see how many bases you could slide into.
Anyway, from left to right these precious little boys are Austin, Clay, Connor and Jay.

Austin was not a kid from our “country block” but he was one of the kiddos on the tee-ball team. I am not quite sure what he is doing now. His mom was a teacher too, like all of our moms, so it is no surprise that he is hanging out before a tee-ball game.

The curly haired mass that looks like he is waiting for the starting whistle is my sweet baby brother, also known as Cosmo’s Crazy. I can name numerous pictures in which he took this pose. I am not sure why. There is a good chance that those shoes are Velcro, because he couldn’t tie a shoe for years. Anyway, Clay has grown up to be a pretty good looking guy……and he snagged himself a gorgeous wife too!

Let me now skip to the far right. Jay is striking a pretty good batting pose. His knees are bent and his tube socks are both pulled up to maximum height. The cool sunglasses totally distract you from his skinny little legs. I love how the color stripes on his tube socks pull his whole outfit together. Today, Jay is also a very handsome guy. He has a beautiful wife named Emily and a sweet baby boy named Kash.



Now, the kid with the baseball hat is Connor. Connor is showing how the short-stop should stand and be ready for the ball to come their way. Either that or he is ducking, because it looks like Jay is going to take head off with the baseball bat. His tube socks are also at maximum height, probably to protect his legs from all that sliding. Well, Connor must have eaten his brussel sprouts, because today he looks like this…



This is a little snapshot from his spread in Self Magazine.

Austin, Jay, Clay – If you are reading this, you should have eaten your brussel sprouts, but I still love ya!

Flashback Friday is the brainchild of Anne Glamore at My Tiny Kingdom. For more time-warping posts go HERE.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Connor was in Self? Seriously? How come I never heard this before?

Anonymous said...

Ahhh..those were the days of summer! The garden hose I'm sure was Rickie's neat freak ways!

Paralegal Diva said...

Girl, you are 'sposed to know that the garden hose on the clothes line was just the way of life when we were younger!! My dad had one on both ends, and on the end of the swingset, and the end of the porch swing . . . .

Marissa said...

Aren't some of the best memories ones of childhood summers?

I wish my husband had eaten more brussel sprouts ; )

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

I never ate brussel sprouts as a child, which is probably why I'm shaped like one now.

Rebecca said...

I love it! I remember many days of summer much like you described, as my neighborhood too was also full of boys. Although, I'm quite sure none of them ended up on Self!

Anonymous said...

WOW, so true about the boys out numbering the girls. I only had 1 neighborhood girl friend, Abby, and that wasn't until JR. High. I was stuck playing with those crazy boys.

Anonymous said...

PLEASE!
LOL!