Nov 19, 2007

Hark! The Herald Ladybird Sings!

Everyone close to me knows that I am a Christmas music junkie. I am embarrassed to say that even though my Christmas tree is still safely packed away, my Christmas CDs have already made an appearance this year. As of right now they have only been played in my car, but co-workers and friends beware, they will be gracing your presence on November 23…..accompanied by my off-pitch, tone-deaf, angelic voice. Birddog is already cringing because I found the holiday station on digital cable.

Each year, I try to increase my Christmas album collection by at least one CD. Here are a couple of my favorites:

Once Upon a Christmas by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton
I used to put on my wig (a.k.a. yellow pillow case) and sing into the mirror. I wanted to be Dolly with all of my heart. The duets are wonderful and it has one of my all time favorite Christmas songs, Hard Candy Christmas. Like any hard-core Dolly fan should know, this is the ballad at the end of the movie Greatest Little Whorehouse in Texas. A classic.

Christmas Island by Jimmy Buffett
Every Parrot Head knows that Jimmy was born on Christmas day. This album covers a few traditional holiday songs in a calypso style and there are several originals that make you want to go to the beach for Christmas. I think that my favorite song on the album is Merry Christmas Alabama (Never Far From Home).

The Music of Christmas by Steven Curtis Chapman
I have a soft spot in my heart for Steven Curtis Chapman because he is from Paducah. While covering several traditional Christmas songs, his original powerful anthems remind us that Jesus is the reason for the season. If you are looking for a Contemporary Christian Christmas album, this one will remind you of the wonders of the birth of Christ.

Boogie Woogie Christmas by The Brian Setzer Orchestra
This album is packed with up-tempo rock-a-billy versions of some of my favorite Christmas songs. Plus, there is the bonus of Ann Margaret singing on Baby It’s Cold Outside. This is an undeniably FUN Christmas CD that will put you in the Christmas spirit with just one song. It will rock your Christmas!

Merry Christmas by Mariah Carey
On any given day, I dispise Mariah Carey, but I love her Christmas album. I bought this CD for All I Want For Christmas Is You, but was pleasantly surprised by the rest of the album. She has some great ballads, but rocks out on gospel songs that will make your heart sing the joys of Christmas.

A Very Special Christmas Series Vol. 1, 2 and 3
This series was started to raise money for the Special Olympics and has turned out to be their biggest fundraiser ever…..with good reason, the music ROCKS! These CDs are packed with big names: The Pointer Sisters, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, Sting, John Mellencamp, Tom Petty, Bonnie Raitt, Cyndi Lauper and many, many more. Plus, Volume 1 has Christmas in Hollis by Run DMC. It just isn’t the Christmas without a song that mentions collid greens. I plan to buy A Very Special Acoustic Christmas this year and I can’t wait!

I have many more, including several classics with Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, James Brown and the Stylistics to name a few. But, I will stop rambling for now.

What is your favorite Christmas CD? Do you have any recommendations for me??

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry, I can't say that I have any album recommendations because I don't think I own any Christmas albums anymore, honestly. I'm not a fan of Christmas music anymore, I loved it as a kid, and even up into my teen years. However, since my grandfather died in 2001 and the family no longer gets together for Christmas, I'm just not crazy about anything Christmas anymore. I'm sure that will change when I have kids though, and I'm looking forward to that.

But...songs that I have always loved are "O Holy Night" (the John Berry and Martina McBride versions are my fave), "All I Want for Christmas is You" by Mariah Carey, and "Away in a Manger" by no one in particular so long as they can sing in tune. Oh, and of course, "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby. Classic.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm sorry, but I am not a big Christmas song collector. I do like several Christmas songs, but I don't usually buy them. But every year my husband, Squirrel, gets out his favorite and plays it to death! It is John Anderson's Christmas Album. Now don't get me wrong, I love John Anderson, but this particular CD drives me nuts. So now it's kind of a little joke that we have going (for 12 years now)!

My personal favorite Christmas song is "O Holy Night". I also love, love, love the Sixpence None the Richer version of "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear".

ShortyMom said...

Oh I love Christmas music. "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby is a must. So is "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" by Brenda Lee. I've fallen for SheDaisy's Brand New Year cd. I bought it because I loved "Santa's Got a Brand New Bag" and ended up falling for the entire cd. I love "Mary Did You Know" as well, but I'm not a fan of Kathy Mattea's version. Too high for her. I like "Please Come Home for Christmas" and "Louisiana Christmas Day" by Aaron Neville. That's just a few of mine..